Mark and Christina purchased the house in March 1999, the Villa was renovated and restored bringing back the style of a bygone area and adding some mod cons like central heating, state of the art security system, modern kitchen appliances, and modern bathrooms. Stafford Villa has been a family home since 1903, a historic double bay villa, Stafford Villa is the original name of the house the name taken from the family village of Staffordshire in England. The first owners The Hayman family purchased the house after spending some time in China and India as missionary's. It was a very lively place with seven boys, one girl and two maiden aunts! Frances Hayman, lived in the house with two of her brothers till the 1950's. It had a chequered past for the next forty years, spilt into two flats. New owners in 1977 commenced renovations to restore the house to its full glory-reconstruction took nine years, the result is a very fine classic double bay villa with full return veranda on two levels - the verandas include 500 turned pieces of Kauri! The Kauri staircase which connects the upper and lower floors was rediscovered after it had been boarded up for 50 years, the house features magnificent Kauri ceilings and polished floors. Stafford Villa is on the Birkenhead historic list and is grade two of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust and is one of only five star boutique hosted properties in Auckland.